Filing motions out of state

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Filing motions out of state

My divorce was handled in CT but I now live in MA. Can I file motions related to my divorce in MA?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Family Law, Connecticut


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am not completely clear on where in the proceedings you are but basically if the divorce originated in CT court it must remain in that court. You also need a marital connection to a state in order to proceed with a divorce in said state. I do not know your situation but would assume you just moved to MA after the divorce began and the marriage was in CT or you lived there long enough to allow CT proper jurisdiction.

I would advise consulting with your attorney handling the case to discuss specifics and verify whether you can do anything in MA but with what I know and the little explanation from you I would have to say no to filing a motion in MA on a CT divorce

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption