Harrasment Post Divorce – revised

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Harrasment Post Divorce – revised

My ex-wife files contempt motions if my alimony/child support check is one day late, or just if she feels like causing trouble. I live in another state. Every time she does this I have to miss work, lose at least a days wages, and spend considerable $$ on travelling to court. Long long can she keep getting away with this? My job is in jeapordy and it’s causing financial hardship. Can I file a harrassment charge and have her ordered to stop? Perhaps I should mention an attny charges $300/hr and I make $30/hr. Cannot hire an attorney.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Family Law, Connecticut


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

What you need to do is file your own motion with the court. if you cannot afford an attorney call the clerk and see if they will walk you through the process. Another option is safeguard yourself. ensure alimony checks are early and send them certified. this way you have proof of receipt. do everything you can to ensure she has no ammunition even if not valid ammunition

You can go into court and explain the situation. if she forces you to miss work and spend money travelling and her case ends up being frivolous make a cross motion for damages. If you do this a couple times she may stop filing these actions if she is required to pay you for your lost wages and time if the motion is frivolous

Defiantly call the clerk they are very helpful with walking you through how to file and proceed in matters like this

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption