Cancellation of contract without notice

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Cancellation of contract without notice

I was on a contract for 6 months which finished in Feb 2016, however it was continued with the same terms and conditions until 18 July 2016. I was told on 18th July that I will be paid substantially less amount per hour than the original terms without giving any notice. I sent them my reply saying it is not acceptable. My original contract says I should be given one months notice if they want to change any terms or conditions of contract.

I met the Manager who verbally agreed to give 4 weeks notice at the same rate but did not confirm that in writing. I sent two emails asking about the email and my last working day, but he does not reply. My last working day will be 15th Aug, but I have not been paid at the current rate and they paid me very less.

Do I have a case against the Company?

Asked on August 4, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the contract expired 6 months ago, then you were no longer an employee whose job and terms thereof (including pay) were covered or set by contract; you were, after expiration, an employee at will. That means that your employer could change your pay at any time, for any reason, without prior notice. Work you did up to being told of the change would be at the then-in-effect rate; work done from when the change is announced forward is at the new rate, and they would not owe you the notice they would have had to provide under the now-expired contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption