If a month after I resigned my former employer has accused me of theft, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a month after I resigned my former employer has accused me of theft, what can I do?

My former employer has told me that he is in dispute with the stationary company and who have invoiced him approximately $4000 for stationary. He is refusing to pay and believes many of the items were not delivered. He then contacted me and told me that the stationary company have accused me of steeling from him. He has been advised to call the police? I obviously am very shocked and extremely upset about this and I am very worried. I have not stolen anything from my former employer and he has stated this in his emails. I have been told by an ex colleague to ignore my former boss and do not respond to his emails etc. because

he needs someone to blame and is looking at me.

Asked on August 4, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, South Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your ex-colleague is correct to not respond to him: you are under no obligation to do so, and anything you write or say, if it comes out the wrong way, could be used against you. If legal action is not taken against you, ignore this; only if sued or charges pressed, you'd have to respond, of course. If legal action (private lawsuit or criminal charges) is taken, the other side (the person suing you, such as the ex-boss; or the authorities) would have to prove that you stole the items to win the case--again, that is a reason to not say anything which could even accidently be used against you. If legal action is taken, you are urged to retain an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption