If I hired a friend to repair my SUV and gave him money to get the parts but now he keeps ignoring me, how do I get back my $550?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I hired a friend to repair my SUV and gave him money to get the parts but now he keeps ignoring me, how do I get back my $550?

We are low income on social security.

Asked on June 29, 2015 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You sue him--that's how you recover your money. If someone breaches a contract or agreement (even an oral or verbal one) to fix a car in exchange for payment, and/or commits fraud (lies to you about what he will do in order to get you to give him money), you can file a lawsuit to recover the money. For the amount of money at stake, you are probably best off filing a small claims lawsuit pro se (acting as your own attorney), to save on legal fees. You can get instructions and sample forms from your local small claims court, either online and/or in person. Small claims court is deliberately set up to be accessible to nonlawyers to represent themselves.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption