Can a workplace ban a former employee from receiving its services?

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a workplace ban a former employee from receiving its services?

I was a former employee at a resturant. I went with my son to eat but the manager asked us to leave. I did not do anything against the law when I worked there nor was I doing anything against the law when I was there trying to have dinner.

Asked on March 17, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a restaurant may do this. As a general matter, a business may decide who to serve. There are some exceptions, such as for places of public accomodation, which may not discriminate on certain specified bases--such as no discriminating in who will be served on the basis of race. However, even places of public accomodation are permitted to bar people for non-discriminatory reasons, such as that a person was a former employee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption