What recourse do I have if adoctor insisted I have an unnecessary test and now my insurance compantdenied payment?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What recourse do I have if adoctor insisted I have an unnecessary test and now my insurance compantdenied payment?

She insisted I have a breast MRI for a spot that I’ve had for the last 20 years. I told her this and also the fact that I have no family history of breast cancer. She insisted so I gave in against my better judgment. Now I’m stuck with the bill. 

Asked on January 4, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are unhappy about the bill for a procedure that was not coverd by your medical insurance company, you need to speak with the accounts receivables department with your doctor's office about the bill to see what can be done.

I have no idea about the procedure that was undertaken and which you did not have insurance coverage for. However, from your treating physician's point of view, he or she owes you a duty of utmost care and the test that was undertaken although it did not show anything negative was probably necessary in his or her judgment. What if the test showed something negative to your health which caught early could be easily treated?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption