Workload balance

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Workload balance

My employer gave me a pay increase a year ago. Usually a pay increaseinI my department comes along with an extra file to our workload. However, the manager who gave me the increase did not give me an extra file and it was a pay increase for my performance. I moved to a different regional manager and they acknowldge my pay increase and did not give me the extra file. It has been almost a year since my pay increase and now my personal manager is bring up that they need to give me an extra file because of increase. I explain that was an increase for my performance and it did not come with an extra file. It has also been almost a year since my increase and now they are bringing it up. Is that legal for them now, to add work for my pay increase almost a year ago?

Asked on August 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless this action violates the terms of an employment contract or union agreement, it is legal. The fact is that most work relationships are "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). Therefore, it can increase your workload as it deems appropriate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption