Will I have to pay child support for my soon-to-be 17 year old?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I have to pay child support for my soon-to-be 17 year old?

We were married 25 years. We have no property. We had 6 children together. I didn’t leave him when they were younger because I knew how mean he was and didn’t want to put young kids through it. The only way to get away peacefully is to disappear. I taught at a small school and made $125 a week so I couldn’t leave. Our house was foreclosed and we left a rental owing back rent. We then lived with my father and have driven him to bankruptcy. We had to leave my dad’s house and I decided that this was the seperation. He convinced my youngest to go with him and now he’s taking me to court for support.

Asked on July 1, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are likely to have to pay child support unti your son is 18 years old or graduates from High School. However, it may not be much. Add your income and your ex's income, to get a total (  100% ) income. Next, figure out what what percentage your income, alone, is of the two total incomes. After the Court determines the child's needs, you will pay that percentage of the child's needs. You may be obligated to pay very little.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption