What can I do if my ex-wife filed for divorce but now refuses to file for final judgement?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-wife filed for divorce but now refuses to file for final judgement?

I was a month late with my response for divorce because I did not understand the rules regarding them. I have since filed all the paperwork that the court needed from me. Now the court is telling me that my ex-wife needs to file for final judgement and she refuses to do so. It has been 2 years now.

Asked on July 1, 2012 under Family Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suspect from what you have written is that assuming you and your former spouse have signed a marital settlement agreement diving your assets and liabilities, then all that needs to be done is to have a proposed judgment prepared referencing the settlement agreement for your marriage.

If the settlement agreement is not yet filed with the court, you should do so and once done submit a proposed judgment to the court with reference to the marital settlement agreement since your former spouse will not do so. I suggest that you may want to consult with a family law attorney to assist you in this endeavor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption