Will I be able to find an attorney to take on a civil suite on contingency? And how do I find one, word of mouth?

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I be able to find an attorney to take on a civil suite on contingency? And how do I find one, word of mouth?

And how do I find one, word of mouth? My brother and sister basically muscled me off my property (agricultural) and absorbed 1/3 of my interest in the rest. There was no contract just verbal but I can show a joint checking account. Would that be enough? There may be more but it would take some digging.

Asked on July 9, 2012 under Business Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Real property is covered by the statute of frauds, which says that any interest in land must be in writing.  So, it may be difficult to claim that you have a property interest in the land.  That said, you probably have a good claim that you and your siblings had a partnership and they wrongfully ousted you from the partnership.  You will have to meet with an attorney, relay more information and see what your chances are of prevailing. 

I would recommend finding someone local to where you are.  Word of mouth is fine.  Do a google search for business attorneys in your city.  This is probably going to end up being a partnership case--which is a business law issue.  Sometimes attorneys take cases on contingency, sometimes they don't.  It depends on how much it will cost to put on the case and how likely success is.

If you are in Ventura County, I would like to meet and talk about this matter, if not best of luck!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption