When is the deadline to file for wrongful termination

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When is the deadline to file for wrongful termination

My supervisor fired me for not
doing what he said after i was
stopping the job for unsafe act

Asked on March 17, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Typically, a wrongful termination claim should be brought within 6 months--there are various grounds from wrongful termination, and some have longer times to file than others, but to be safe, bring the claim within 6 months, so as to fall under the most-restictive deadlines.
Be warned, however, that if you did not have a written employment contract which by its plain tems prevented termination in this way or for this reason, it most likely was NOT wrongful termination. That's because without such a contract, you would have been an "employee at will" which means, among other things, that you could be terminated at any time, for any reason whatsoever--employees at will have essentially no rights in or to their job, and no protection against wrongful termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption