What to do about subdivision rules that are not being enforced?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about subdivision rules that are not being enforced?

When I first moved into the subdivision where I live, I was given a paper stating what was and wasn’t allowed. One thing on the list was 4-wheelers. This was fine with me. Yet, in the last couple of years a few neighbors have bought them it’s driving the peace loving neighbors crazy. The owners of these vehicles were warned about this once by the man who gave out the papers to begin with. This worked for about a week. However, he now says he’s not going to enforce this rule. When I moved here I was under the impression that it would be a peaceful neighborhood without 4-wheelers. Is there any way to make this man enforce the rule?

Asked on August 17, 2011 Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The "subdivision rules" that you refer to, are they handwritten rules that the association just put out or are these "rules" part of the recorded "covenants, conditions, and restrictions" recorded on your property and every other property in the subdivision?

Or, are these "rules" the result of the authority that the recorded covenants, conditions and restrictions" allow the governing board for the association to make?

The key to being able to answer your question is on what basis and authority were these rules created? If the rules you were presented when you first moved into the neighborhood were the result some loose neighborhood agreement, then you cannot enforce them.

However, if they are the result of recorded "covenants, conditions and restrictions" upon your subdivision, then you can perhaps enforce the rules.

Another option is to call the police about the excessive noise from the four wheelers and see what the result is. You might consider consulting an attorney experienced with planned unit developments and "covenants, conditions and restrictions."

Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption