What kind of forms do I need to use to rent my house to a tenant?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What kind of forms do I need to use to rent my house to a tenant?

I would like to rent my condominium to a friend. However, an arrangement needs to be made that we should both be bound to. Bottom line is, I would like to get it back in the same condition I leave it.

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best thing to do in any rental is to have a written lease agreement between the tenant and the landlord setting forth the expectations of both for the period of the rental. The document preferably prepared by a landlord tenant attorney should set forth the place being rented, the monthly rent, the amount of security deposit if any, when rent is due, first and last month's rent and the duration of the lease with any option to renew.

The document should be signed by both the landlord and tenant as well as be dated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption