What would be the right U.S. visa if I’m looking to relocate to the U.S. from the U.K.?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What would be the right U.S. visa if I’m looking to relocate to the U.S. from the U.K.?

I am planning to get married to a U.S. citizen. Our marriage is going to take place in the U.K.. however I want to work when I go to live in the U.S. I have been looking into employment based visas but I am wondering if our marriage is going to affect my visa application. Would it mean that my employment based visa application would be stopped and I would have to apply for a marriage visa? As far as I know, I would not be able to start looking for work until the visa was approved whereas with an employment visa I could be looking for work now. Can anyone help with this please?

Asked on March 5, 2018 under Immigration Law, Iowa


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It will be faster for you to apply through your spouse than to apply through a prospective employer especially since there is a lottery s ystem in place for the employment based visas and if you dont get a petition in by April 1 and it is selected in the lottery, the earliest an employer can petition for you again would be April 1 of the following year.  Whereas if you are petitioned by your spouse and are already in the US then it will be much faster.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption