I work from home in the Philippines and boss company are in the US. Can they relocate me to work in the US?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I work from home in the Philippines and boss company are in the US. Can they relocate me to work in the US?

Hello, I work from home in the Philippines and the company I work for is based in
the US. I directly report to my bosses there and I was given the title ‘Manager’
here. I had one subordinate before but the company had to let her go because
she’s still studying and that affected her performance at work. Would I be qualified
for the L-1B visa in case my employer sponsors me? Thanks so much!

Asked on March 4, 2018 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

YOu can only qualify for a L-1B visa if you are employed by a company in the Philippines that have a corporate relationship with the US based entity.  If there is no local entity but you just report to the company in the US, there is no basis for a L-1B and there is nothing to transfer.  The company in the US would need to petition you for an employment based visa.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption