What will happen to me if I got caught stealing at a store?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen to me if I got caught stealing at a store?

It was $50 worth of items. This is my second offense here; I got caught 4 years in another state. I spent 3 days in jail because I had no driver’s ID. My husband bailed me out and my court date in about a month.

Asked on January 22, 2014 under Criminal Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Your second offense now will likely be a sentencing enhancement because you were convicted of the same or similar crime not too long ago.  You may wish to consider asking the court to place you in counseling as an alternative conviction, pay fines and stay out of trouble for at least two years. Many courts are offering these to allow people the opportunity to be rehabilitated by allowing the defendant to withdraw the guilty plea and withdrawing the conviction once all conditions are met.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption