What should I do if I received a citation for public intoxication while I was in my driveway?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I received a citation for public intoxication while I was in my driveway?

I was not arrested. I had been visiting a friend a block away and drove home via a narrow alley that runs behind our homes. An officer pulled into my driveway behind me regarding a brake light being out on my vehicle. He proceeded to give me a breathalyzer (there were no readable results) and a “field test”. I was honest about having a glass of wine. I was not drunk. He have me the citation in my driveway and left. How should I handle this? I have no prior record.

Asked on January 22, 2014 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Stan Helinski / McKinley Law Group

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Definitely contact a lawyer--the government must prove that you were operating on a "public way." It doesn't see they'll be able to prove that element.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption