What will happen if i don’t attend court and not pay the rent.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if i don’t attend court and not pay the rent.


I was doing my masters in IOWA University and rented an apartment with my
roommate from July 2018 to July 2019. due to loss of eligibility on my VISA, I
was not able to return to continue my education in December 2018. with this
circumstance, I requested my roommate to find a replacement for me which he
confirmed me as he found one in March till which I paid the rent. I also
informed my landlord that I lost the eligibility to return to the USA and
requesting him to break the lease.

Now after 3 months I got a notice for Forcible entry and detainer. I cannot
attend the court as I am out of the country and I don’t have eligibility to
come back. Please suggest to me what will happen if I don’t attend and pay the


Asked on July 19, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You'll be evicted, which does not sound like it will be a problem for you--you're not there and won't be coming back. The landlord can likely get a judgment against you (basically, a court order that you should pay) for the rent, too, but it's almost impossible (and prohibitively difficult or expensive) to enforce such judgments internationally, so there is no real practical risk.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption