UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I currently own a home that I have a mortgage on and I moved out 7 years and let someone move in and pay the mortgage for rent. I want to get out of this mortgage but the renter doesn’t have good enough credit to get a mortgage and I don’t want to move back into the house. I currently have 43k left on mortgage what are my options to get out from this mortgage?

Asked on July 18, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no way to get out of the mortgage without it being paid off, including by someone else taking out a new mortgage in their own name and using it to pay off (e.g. as part of buying the property) the old mortgage. A mortgage is a contract between you and the lender: you are obligated to it unless the lender voluntarily chooses to release you from it, and in my experience, a lender will never do that without it being paid off or refinanced.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption