What to do in the event of a lost, never filed quit claim deed?

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do in the event of a lost, never filed quit claim deed?

My father-in-law signed a quit claim deed over to my husband and I before he died. My sister-in-law was supposed to file it but she lost it. To make matters worse, my father-in -aw never filed his quit claim deed from his father, so the house is currently in my husband’s grandfather’s name. We do have a copy of the first quitclaim deed (from the grandfather to my husband’s father) that went unfiled but not the most recent.

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a copy of the first quitclaim deed frm the grandfather to your husband's father, then that quit claim deed should be recorded in order to close the chain of ownership on the property assuming it is in the grandfather's name at the present time. If it is not, then it makes no sense to record this quitclaim.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney who practices Wills and trusts as well about your situation in that it appears that you will have to have some probate, trust, or intestacy matters started in order to transfer title to the property that you are writing about to whom it should be going to.

You have a complicated situation caused by the deaths of various people who signed quitclaim deeds down the line where the documents were not recorded on the parcel.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption