How to get someone off a lease without them knowing?

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to get someone off a lease without them knowing?

I have a roommate on a lease with me and Iwant him gone but don’t know how to do it. He’s very loud, parties Monday through Friday until the sun comes up, annoys the people living next to us, and doesn’t clean his trash (yes there’s trash everywhere). Also, he has been late on his rent/bills we each send off to the landlord; 2 times he’s been late and the 3rd time we are going to be kicked out. I have spokento the landlord about getting him out but he doesn’tt care as long as he gets his money. What can I do?

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The only way to get your roommate off your lease is to see if he will voluntary leave the unit where he subleases it to another person. The problem that you may have is that you may be trading one problem for a bigger one. The other option is to see if your landlord will somehow end the lease with him.

Your final option would be to see if your landlord to release you from the lease where you can move on to another rental.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption