What should I do if the doctor I work for is acting inappropriately by touching and making sexually suggestive comments during patient exams?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if the doctor I work for is acting inappropriately by touching and making sexually suggestive comments during patient exams?

I have had several complaints from female patients in the last few weeks that the Optometrist that I work for has been touching patients inappropriately during exams, as well as offering products in exchange for sexual favors, and asking them if they are in need of a “sugar daddy”. This is not particularly shocking as he has always made unwelcomed advances towards me that have lately become explicit and cause me to be extremely uncomfortable. I am the only employee aside from the doctor.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have suffered unwanted advances, your employer may be sexually harassing you, which is illegal; if this is the case, you could either speak with an employment law attorney about possibly bringing a lawsuit, or else contact either the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or your state equal/civil rights agency to file a complaint.

For unwanted and unprofessional advances to or touching of patients, someone should contact the state board which licenses physicians to make an ethical complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption