Does the press reveal the name of a minor in a sexual abuse case?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the press reveal the name of a minor in a sexual abuse case?

The victim is a 9 year-old old girl and the accused is her father. I need to know if I could put his name to the press on the chance that he could have abused other kids? How I can inform the public after he has been charged?

Asked on October 8, 2010 under Criminal Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The press usually does not reveal the name of a minor in a sexual abuse case.  Since the individual has been accused, but has not been convicted, he could sue you for defamation if you were to give his name to the media "on the chance that he could have abused other kids".  Unless he is convicted, he is presumed innocent.

If you have evidence that he has abused other kids, you should contact law enforcement.  If there is evidence resulting in additional charges being filed against him, the media will report it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption