What is my recourse if my employer provides a hostile work environment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse if my employer provides a hostile work environment?

I believe that my employer has created and perpetuated a hostile work environment. I was discussing work with a team member this morning. He told a senior manager that I was harassing and threatening him. He has

Asked on May 10, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

To be considered a "hostile", a workplace must be one that prevents a worker from doing theirr job in a reasonable manner. A co-worker (including a superior), either by words and/or actions, must create an environment that is counterproductive to the employee performing their job. That having been said, as a general rule these behaviors must be "discriminatory" in nature and are not just a result of unprofessional behavior. Based on what you have written it's not clear that your treatment, while unfortunate, reaches this threshold. Here is a link to a site that will explain furhter: https://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/sexual_harassment/factors_hostile.htm

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption