I missed my court day but the date was not issued on the tickets for my violation what should I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I missed my court day but the date was not issued on the tickets for my violation what should I do?

Hi I am an international student and I seek advice I missed my court for my
ticket which was no driver license, no insurance, no registration and a minor
speeding ticket which I was going over the speed limit by 12 miles. My question
is if I go to court will I be sent to jail because I have classes and a senior at
my college please if I need advice on what should I do.

Thank you.

Asked on January 29, 2017 under General Practice, New Mexico


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since you missed the court appearance, you have now been charged with failure to appear and a bench warrant has been issued for your arrest.  You will also have to pay a substantial fine for failure to appear.
It would be advisable to call the court and make arrangements to appear and pay the fine.  No, you won't be sent to jail if you resolve the matter.  If the matter is not resolved and you are arrested on the bench warrant, you will be taken to jail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption