What paperwork do I file with the court to get my child removed out of an unsafe enviroment with her father?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What paperwork do I file with the court to get my child removed out of an unsafe enviroment with her father?

No custody ever been set up; he is refusing to give her back from visitation.

Asked on August 24, 2012 under Family Law, Kansas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the child is in danger, you need to report the dangerous situation to your local law enforcement or children's protective agency. 

Your next focus needs to be on filing the appropriate paperwork with the court to get custody of your child so that you have an order in place.  Without a formal order, kid snatching will continue to be a problem with few remedies.  If you are married, the custody paperwork can be filed through a divorce proceeding.  If you have not been married, then you'll file for a basic custody suit. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption