What can I do if my last 2 payroll checks have had payment stopped on them?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my last 2 payroll checks have had payment stopped on them?

I’m currently in dispute with my former employer who actually laid me off for the reason of “cost cutting” and refuses to let my 2 unpaid payroll checks clear. After making an attempt to deposit these funds into my account, I finally received the copies of the checks both with returned reasons of “Stopped Payment”. What are my options?

Asked on December 28, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can take your empoyer to small claims court to try and collect what you are owed. You can also file a complaint with your state's department of labor. However, if payment has been stopped, quite possibly your employer is going through financial difficulties and may simply not have the money.
However, if just your check has been stopped and no one else's, then you need to know the reason why. If it is because you owe your employer money for a company loan, damaged property, etc., then make sure that you gave express written consent that your paycheck could have deductions taken from it. If not, then you have a legal claim against your employer. While you still may owe them money, your employer will have to sue you for it or make other repayment arrangements; they cannot just takt the money our of your check.
At this point, you should contact your state's department of labor or consult with an employment attorney for further information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption