What can I do to get my money back from a hotel?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to get my money back from a hotel?

I received 2 hotel rooms last month. I gave them my credit card and signed the forms. I was given a form by the front desk stating they have a door lock policy, that if you break it you pay $150. Upon leaving the hotel, we paid 1 room with cash and the other room was charged to another credit card. The hotel states that 1 of the rooms had a red stain in the carpet and we would have to pay $150 for it. There were 7 people in the party and each 1 of them states the red stain was already there. The hotel waits a month later and charges me.

Asked on August 23, 2012 under General Practice, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

First, tell your card issuer that you dispute  the charge, and why, and offer to present statements from the witnesses; ask them to reverse the charge. They may do so or they may not--if the hotel holds firm when the charge is disputed, the card issuer will probably ultimately pay them--but it's always worth trying. If that doesn't work, the only way to recover the money would be by lawsuit. One option is a small claims court lawsuit, where you can act as your own attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption