What legal action can I take against FEMA for producing incorrect flood maps?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What legal action can I take against FEMA for producing incorrect flood maps?

My home was recently placed in a flood zone. I literally live in the highest elevation of our town. In the old flood maps areas that were prone to flooding were removed in the new map. Areas that do not flood such as my property were placed in a flood zone. The areas that were removed from the flood zone are on or in very close proximity of a creek, and are the lowest elevations in our town. I have already tried the LOMA process through FEMA but failed, and to no wonder I am competing against a false map. Is there any legal action I can take against FEMA?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is no legal action that you can take against FEMA for placing your home in a flood zone. However, you can contact FEMA to see what information it needs to reclassify the area where your home is located as not being in the flood. You need to understand that under flood classifications the 100 year flood plane is typically utilized with the worst case scenario. The classification of the flood plane is based upon geotechnical evidence.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney who does work with and against governmental entities concerning your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption