Do my parents have a legal right to stop me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do my parents have a legal right to stop me?

I am a 24 year old senior mechanical engineering student. I currently live at home with my parents and I plan to move out very soon. They don’t approve of my girlfriend and have harassed her and intimidated her. My parents have spent some money toward my college education, but they no longer do. I work full time and can afford to move out. Is there any legal way that they can stop me from moving out? I need to know my rights if they try to physically stop me or take illegal measures to stop me. They are very narcissistic Indian parents who try to control my life.

Asked on August 16, 2017 under Estate Planning, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you are a (we assume) mentally competent adult (have not been adjudged incompetent based on medical evidence of incompetence or had a legal guardian appointed for you); mentally competent adults may do as they like, live where they want, move out or move away whenever they want, etc. Your parents have no legal right to stop you from moving out. If they do something illegal, call the police and press charges for the appropriate criminal act (e.g. using force to restrain you, even just grabbing and holding you, is assault at a minimum; taking money or car keys or phone or something else you need is theft; trying to sabotage your plans by calling up a landlord, pretending to be you, and claiming you changed you mind about renting would be a form of identity theft; etc.). The police should help if illegal or criminal means are used against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption