What is the parental liability in the state of NJ for personal injury by minor ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the parental liability in the state of NJ for personal injury by minor ?

My 16 year old daughter had a sleepover with two
friends at her friends home. She threw a hair brush
at one of her friends and by accident this hair brush
caused injury to her eye that has requiered some
plastic surgery for scaring. I have now received a
letter from a lawyer they have hired asking me for
information on homeowners insurance of which I
don’t have and to contact them.

Asked on September 11, 2017 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are liable for an injury caused by your daughter since she is a minor.
Your liability includes the medical bills of the injured person and pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  If the injured person is employed, you are also liable for wage loss.
Since you don't have insurance, if the case results in a court judgment against you which you can't afford to pay, at that time you may want to consider filing bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.  It would be premature to file bankruptcy until you know the amount of the judgment against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption