What is the max benefits you can receive from rear end accident?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the max benefits you can receive from rear end accident?

I was rear ended in a car accident on
09-26-16, whiplash was determined by the
treating ER Physician.

Asked on July 27, 2017 under Personal Injury, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The most you are entitled to is your provable, actual out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance, Medicare/caid, etc.) medical costs, including sufficiently provable future costs; lost wages, if any; provable future diminished earning potential, if any; and if the injury has caused significant life impairment, some amount for "pain and suffering," though that latter is very subjective and hard to quantify; it is generally approximately related to your medical costs, so the greater the medical costs, usually the larger the pain and suffering award. This all together is the most you can get from the sum of insurance and the other party (the other driver personally), though you may well have to sue for this money if it is not voluntarily paid to you by insurer and/or other driver. Obviously, what you can get as a practial matter is limited by insurance coverage (an insurer only has to pay up to policy limits) and the amount of money and assets possessed by the at-fault driver: it is possible that with serious injuries, that the compensation to which you might be entitled exceeds the available insurance and the money which the other driver has, in which case you will only recover part of what might otherwise be coming to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption