What will happen to my wife for throwing away evidence of our son’s crime?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen to my wife for throwing away evidence of our son’s crime?

Wife threw away evidence from son’s burglary. He is 33. She acted without thinking and hrew away 6 packs of cigarettes and a bank deposit envelop with some change in it. She panicked as a mother. Now they are threatening to charge her unless son talks with a detective. There is an arrest warrant ready to be signed which I saw. What can happen at most? It was a mother’s mistake.

Asked on August 1, 2011 New Hampshire


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You and your wife need to seek help from a criminal defense attorney in your area as soon as possible - like yesterday.  Your son is an adult (and this is not to say that she did not panic as a Mom; only that he is not a minor).  I do not want them to charge her as an accessory after the fact.  She threw away evidence.  That charge is not so far fetched.  And he needs to speak with the detective with an attorney.  And he needs to tell the truth as do you and your wife no matter the consequences.  Lies will catch up to all of you and the punishments MUCH harsher should they come to light later rather than sooner. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption