What is the likely outcome of my first offense being “Fraud by Statements?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the likely outcome of my first offense being “Fraud by Statements?

I was camping in California, and had a run in with some federal police officers and lied about my name. I got a ticket for Fraud by Statements and I’m just curious what my court date will be like/what I should say? Do I plead not guilty? Ask about deferment programs?

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Given the fact that you are charged with a criminal offense where if convicted you can be fined and sentenced to jail, you should consult with a criminal defense attorney to defend you in the matter.

As to the likely outcome if you are convicted for the charge against you, is that you will be fined and have a criminal record as a result. Possibly the court can put you on court probation and then dismiss the charge if you complete it satisfactory. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption