Can I drop charges on my ex-boyfriend for a first time domestic dispute?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I drop charges on my ex-boyfriend for a first time domestic dispute?

My ex-boyfriend beat me up and I pressed charges. I had calls from previous arguments before this specific situation and he recently committed a felony. The officer also charged him with a felony from the fight. I want to drop the fight charges without getting in trouble but I made a recorded statement. I know that I probably could do anything about the recent crime but I don’t want the fights charges on him. We have a child together and I know he has never done anything major before this and I don’t and he doesn’t want to be out of her life.

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to understand something here. Whether or not to prosecute a case (i.e. drop charges) rests with the prosecutor and not with the victim. What this means is that your case may be prosecuted over your objection. Clearly the state's case would be stronger if you cooperated but if there is other strong evidence to support the charge, the case can still go forward. 

However, the fact of the matter is that an experienced criminal defense attorney may be able to use the fact that you do not want to cooperate to obtain a favorable result for your ex-boyfriend. They may possibly be able to talk the prosecutor into dismissing/reducing the charges. However, prosecutors can be unwilling to drop these types of cases because they do not want offenders to think that if they can intimidate a victim, they can get away with this behavior. Additionally, your ex has a history of criminal behavior.

Also, you gave a recorded statement. You can deviate from what you said in the statement but you may open yourself up to charges. However, you must tell the truth, so decide whatthat is and stick to it. You should also be aware that if you are subpoenaed to testify at trial (if there is one), you must appear or risk being found in contempt of court.

At this point, you should speak directly with a criminal law attorney as to all of this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption