What if my brother can not make good on a divorce settlement?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if my brother can not make good on a divorce settlement?

In a divorce decree my brother was ordered to pay $200 a month and $6000 in 6 months to his ex-wife for difference in house value during their marriage. It was his house when they married but they renovated. There is no child support, no children involved. Since the divorce he is raising his children from a former marriage alone and having financial difficulties. He is not able to come up with the $6000. Can they make him sell his house or his only mode of transportation, a 6 year old motorcycle to pay it? He has no luxury items and is behind on mortgage. What can they do to him?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Family Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your brother cannot honor the terms of the dissolution agreement with his former spouse due to financial difficulties the court and his former wife have the following options:

1. declare the dissolution agreement void with respect to the $6,000 owed and the order the house sold;

2. restructure the timing of the $6,000 pay out for the home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption