If I live in one state and my spouse lives in another, how do I file an uncontested divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I live in one state and my spouse lives in another, how do I file an uncontested divorce?

We have been separated for 15 years and have no children or anything else together.

Asked on September 15, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You don't mention which state your spouse lives in, but as long as you live in Texas, you can file in Texas.  Texas has become much more proactive in offering pro se forms.  These are forms that people can used to file for their own uncontested divorces.  The process starts with a petition.  This basically says "hey, we don't want to be married any more."  The next step is for your spouse to sign a waiver.  This document basically says "I want the divorce to and I agree to the proposed decree."  After sixty days has passed since the filing of the divorce petition, you can finalize your divorce.  To do this, you'll need to schedule a "prove-up" with through the court coordinator.  On the date of your hearing, you'll need to take a proposed final decree with you.  This is where the court officially grants the divorce. 
You can try to prepare the forms yourself.  More and more clerks are including proposed forms on their websites.  You can also hire an attorney for the limited purpose of drafting the needed documents, but do the leg work yourself.  This can reduce the cost of an agreed divorce by about half. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption