What do I do if my ex-husband has not complied with terms of the divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if my ex-husband has not complied with terms of the divorce?

I was ordered to sign over deeds to several properties, which I did. He was ordered
to refinance the mortgages to remove my name, within 30 days. It has been beyond
60 days and he has not done so. Communications with him have gone nowhere as
he has no plans in the near future to do so. I did not have an attorney, he does.
State of Nebraska.

Asked on October 24, 2016 under Family Law, Nebraska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can pursue contempt of court against your ex.  File with the court an Order to Show Cause requesting a hearing (contact the court clerk to schedule a hearing date) and also file a declaration signed under penalty of perjury with the facts supporting contempt of court (your ex not complying with court orders and state the specific orders) and any additional supporting documents.  File these documents and a proof of service verifying the date of mailing a copy of your court-filed documents to your ex's attorney.
Check with the court clerk before filing your documents to inquire if any additional documents are required because the required documents may vary from state to state. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption