What will happen if I married a man while I was in the process of divorce with another man?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I married a man while I was in the process of divorce with another man?

I was separated for several years with a man from foreign country and finally got in the process of divorce while I married another man before the divorce got into final. There was 3 months overlap. Currently I am already divorced with the previous man. Am I officially married to the new man or do I have to remarry him again? We both insist on our marriage. Is there any legal issue? Are there any negative consequences for future?

Asked on October 25, 2016 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

A foreign marriage is given full recognition by U.S. jurisdictions. Accordingly, since you were legally married at the time of your "second marriage", this latter marriage is not legal. Under the eyes of the law, it is "null and void". That is, it is as if it never took place. Accordingly, you will need to marry your current "husband" in a valid ceremony.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption