What can I do about a credit card company that refuses to send me a statement or communicate with me about what I owe?

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a credit card company that refuses to send me a statement or communicate with me about what I owe?

I filed bankruptcy 5 years ago. Since my debt was released ,I have had a credit card that has been taken over by one of the companies I filed against. They contacted me to tell me it was closed, but I haven’t heard from them since. I knew I had a balance so I made payments up to the amt I knew I owed. Ive sent them a letter and they have not responded back. I want this resolved but do not know how to proceed. I don’t want this to effect my credit that I have worked hard to build again. What options do I have?

Asked on April 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Perhaps the best way to resolve the amount of credit card debt that you want paid off is to call the credit card company and personally speak with one of its representatives about what you desire and to get the balance owed.

Once received, send a confirming letter and a check for the amount that you wish to pay. The issue that I see is that if you had this debt discharged in your bankruptcy five years ago, the debt is probably written off and information concerning you and it is purged from the credit card company's internal system.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption