how do you show lost wages in a car accident claim when you are self employed. The other driver has already been determined to be at fault

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how do you show lost wages in a car accident claim when you are self employed. The other driver has already been determined to be at fault

I have been to the doctor and have back injury causing my L5 disk to be shifted causing moderate to high grade neural damage, that the doctor said is related to the accident. My pain has become progressively worse. Just before my accident in June 2008 i invested a lot of money in a new business venture and although I am making money from it, it is nowhere close to what it should be. I am having to pay someone to do the work for me. How do I show my lost wages.

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Accident Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You've got a very serious injury, and if fault is clearly on the other driver, you need to have an experienced personal injury lawyer handle this case for you, so that you get fair compensation for all your losses.  Often, the lawyer's skill will be more than enough for your recovery, after the lawyer's contingent fee, will still be more than the whole recovery you could have gotten by yourself.  One place to look for a qualified attorney is our website,

Income loss for a self-employed person in a new business is often very difficult to prove.  You may be able to get around this, and recover at least what you are paying someone to do the work, if you can prove the connection.  This is an unusual situation, even for most lawyers, but it's definitely worth looking into.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption