What can be done?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done?

Someone in my family passed leaving an insurance policy for her kids and myself. She did not want her mother to know, however the funeral home not only called but went to the home of the mother and gave her the information. The mother was not, I repeat was not on this policy as a beneficiary. The daughter who passed did not leave the mother over anything. In fact, she obtained an attorney to draw up a Will and after she passed a cousin and the mother drew up fraudulent papers playing everything was left to the mother. Which is totally separate from this policy. The mother and cousin who works for another company has called this policy holding company, faking that they are the agents and wants to change the beneficiary and obtaining info, lying that they’re

another insurance agent. What can we do? This is so beyond anything I’ve ever seen.

Asked on May 11, 2019 under Insurance Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Contact both the local police and the state attorney general's office; also the state agency regulating insurers. This is criminal and needs to be treated as a criminal act; it therefore needs to be reported to law enforcement and the other appropriate authorities.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption