Do I have a legitimate bad faith civil suit against my insurance company?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a legitimate bad faith civil suit against my insurance company?

My wife and I separated about 2 months ago. Around 2 weeks after that, she had me removed from our auto insurance. I did some research and found out that I was also removed from our homeowner’s policy. She said that she had no idea that they did that because she only wanted me removed from auto. I was never notified of any changes and never signed any legal papers. Can I hold my agent accountable for bad faith for illegally removibg me from our policy?

Asked on May 12, 2019 under Insurance Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

How did this damage or injure you economically or cost you money? If you should not have been removed from the policy, you should be able to force the insurer to reinstate you. However, with a very few exceptions which do not apply here, you can only seek monetary compensation for the losses, costs, etc. you incurred due to a breach of contract (violating the terms of the policy by removing you improperly from it). Therefore, unless you suffered some quantifiable and provable losses, there is no monetary compensaton to which you'd be entitled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption