What are my options if this turns into a mess of legal and ownership problems? Payment for furniture required upon USE of furniture was agreed.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options if this turns into a mess of legal and ownership problems? Payment for furniture required upon USE of furniture was agreed.

Verbal agreement. I deliver and set up furniture in 5 offices. Property manager inspected upon set up, stated “looks good to me”. I leave furniture setup. Building owners show up a week later, they do not like the style of the furniture. The contact me to come remove. I am sick for 2 weeks. Owners leave message “we’ll move them until you get them.” I call back, property manager “they have changed their mind, they’ve put work into cleaning up the desks, so we’re going to continue.” If I want to remove my furniture which they have no paid for, what are the possible problems I face?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Business Law, Texas


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The customer has a right to reject the furniture and is responsible for returning it to you or permitting you to come pick it up.  If the customer does not want the furniture, they can do that.  If the customer wants to keep the furniture then it has to pay for it.  if they use the furniture and want to keep it but not pay you, then you need to send a letter indicating that you will be suing if payment is not received.  I suggest giving 5 days for the cusotmer to respond to paying you.  If there is no response file the suit and make sure ou have a lawyer helping you with this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption