Do I have to send bank records from 5 years ago as an answer to an interrogatory?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to send bank records from 5 years ago as an answer to an interrogatory?

I am being sued by a creditor. They want bank staements from 2005. It will cost $30. No information on the statements are relevant to the case.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Business Law, Massachusetts


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you have an attorney representing you in this case, you should take his or her advice on how to respond to that interrogatory, what to supply and what not to supply.  If you don't have an attorney, you should think about retaining one as soon as possible.  You can find qualified lawyers in a number of places, including our website,

There is a procedure for challenging this;  exactly what that is varies from one state to the next, and I'm not a Massachusetts lawyer.  The problem, of course, is that it can easily cost much more than $30 to fight out the issue -- and you might still have to come up with the records after all of that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption