What are my legal options to receive unpaid claimed services?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal options to receive unpaid claimed services?

I have a small business that provides software development to a client based in
Colorado. We’ve been working for couple of months and client has now claimed that
the work is not up to standard and withheld the last 2 payments of work that we

Asked on October 22, 2018 under Business Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You sue the client--that is how you get money someone owes you but will not voluntarily pay. You sue for breach of contract: for violating the agreement to pay for your services. In the lawsuit, you would have to prove the terms of the agreement and that you did the work; they could try to defend on the basis that your work was not commercially acceptable and so was not something they had to pay for; a court will decide who is right and who wrong. A lawsuit is the only way to get the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption