What t do if my client refuses to pay me stating that the work done is not valuable enough?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What t do if my client refuses to pay me stating that the work done is not valuable enough?

They are requesting that I produce a detailed account of the work done every hour. Do I have to perform work to get paid? The contract in place requires my client to pay for my availability and does not tie work responsibilities/deliverables to payment. Can my client refuse to pay if I have kept my time available for them but performed no work as they have guided me to do?

Asked on October 22, 2018 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It depends entirely on the terms of your contract. If, as you say, the contract they signed--and so agreed to and obligated themselves too--requires payment for availability, not deliverables, they have to pay, and you could sue them for "breach of contract" if they will not. Their obligation to pay will be determined solely by the terms of the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption