What action can I take against my daughter regarding money that I have to pay on a loan that she took outbut I co-signed for?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What action can I take against my daughter regarding money that I have to pay on a loan that she took outbut I co-signed for?

She is a 40 year old adult with a job and no one but herself that she is responsible for. Concern for my credit score is why I am paying on the loan but feel I should have some recourse to recoup the money from her when she able to pay it herself.

Asked on October 24, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You are correct to worry about your credit score, since you are as legally liable for the loan as she; also, if the loan is not paid, the lender has the right to sue either or both of you.

You probably should be able to sue your daughter for her contribution, based on the loan which you both signed. However, to recover from her, you would need to sue--there  is no other mechanism to get it from her. If you sue her and she will not pay, you could then potentially look to use of several techniques to recover it, such as garnishment wages or putting a lien on property. You should consult with an attorney, who can help you understand your options and also the cost of pursing them. Of course, if she has no money, then no matter what your legal rights, you will be unable to recover.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption