If my daughter is 17 and refusing to go to her dad’s for a visit, is there anything he can do legally?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my daughter is 17 and refusing to go to her dad’s for a visit, is there anything he can do legally?

He is threatening bring the police.

Asked on November 20, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

With rare exception, a minor child cannot choose which parent they want to live with. You will need to bring the matter to court. A judge will determine this by looking at many factors (home environment, income and education of the parents, the child's relationship with each parent, reason for wanting the change, etc).

That having been said, while a child cannot choose where they want to live, if they over the age of 12, their preference is given more weight in a court's consideration.

However, until custody is modified, you must do your best to follow the existing order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption